Blink Black Bean Tortillas
How do we get more protein in our diets? Beans and pulses! Only thing is, I love lentils, and they’re about the only pulse I know what to do with… So, I resolved to cook with a new bean/ pulse at least every week. This week, it’s black beans! We used to buy black beans in cans back home in Canada – impossible to find in Geneva! So I bought a pack of dried black beans, soaked them, cooked them forever- and I’m now ready to make some black bean magic happen.
First up – the easiest dish ever! Tortillas! I always try to have some corn tortillas on hand for quick dinners – can always mash up some beans/ pulses to make a spread, or throw some roasted veggies in there and you’re done. Here’s the recipe I made up on the spot, worked out pretty well for me (and more importantly, for Ayla and Nick!) Blink and they’re ready…
- around 200g. black beans, cooked (soaked for at least 12 hours and cooked, around 1.5 hours)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow onion, medium size, sliced thinly
- 1 large, super ripe tomato, peeled & diced
- a bit (2 tbsps) tomato puree, from a jar
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro/ coriander, chopped.
- 1/2 lime
- Corn tortillas
- Spices – chili powder (around 1 tbsp), cumin (1/2 tsp), garlic powder (a pinch)
- Saute sliced onion in a bit of oil and some water for around 5 minutes, until soft. Add spices. Add bell pepper and a bit more water if needed, saute for another 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes. Saute another 5 minutes, then simmer while you chop/ assemble the rest.
- Blend cooked beans with a bit of lime juice and some chilipowder.
- Assemble – warm your tortilla a bit. Spread the black bean mix on the bottom. Add the onion/ pepper/ tomato saute. Add some avocado, and top it off with some chopped coriander. Squeeze some lime on top.
- Roll it up – you’re done! Enjoy 🙂